Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Bubbles

I was at a yoga thing on Saturday where the teacher was talking about our internal filters. Like when we want to buy a car, we have an idea of that car in our mind and then our brain starts to see them. We suddenly see all the silver BMW's or red Priuses or whatever it is we want. And then I was reading a quote about how most of us live in echo chambers.

Understandable, we watch things that we like. We read books that reinforce our vision of the world. And I was wondering how much do I live in that echo chamber. For my liberal self, San Francisco can be a glorious bubble. However, in an effort to grow and better see the world, getting out of the bubble and turning off my filters would be beneficial.

The book I was reading suggested that artists try a NASCAR event. I think I'll take Drag-Racing.
Nature lovers should try a city hike. It is almost hard for me to come up with ideas... I should try reading the Christian Science Monitor or Fox News. Oh that sounds dreadful - the Fox News Part at least.

Maybe I don't really like this idea. Much worse that eating one's brussel sprouts.

No comments: