Saturday, May 27, 2006

Trains in the rain

The Beijing West Railroad Station is a bit chaotic - and worse for those who do not speak the language. My ticket information suggested that I'd be able to check a bag. So I packed accordingly - one big bag to check and then 2 little ones with books, food, toothbrush and clean undies. But as I was asking the people about where to check the bag I got directed to immigration. They then immigrated me and before I knew it, I was on the train - an hour early. Gave me time to settle in.

As it turns out, I got the entire 4-bunk cabin to myself. I spread out, did some journal writing, watched the green, green countryside go by, listened to the iPod and read a book. All very civilized. The least civilized thing was the smokers in the hallway and the bathrooms. But that is to be expected on foreign trains.

Another oddity is that they had food runners that ran carts up and down the hallways. I didn't realize this and so went to the dining car. The staff was enjoying their break (I thought 6:15 was average dinner hour - guess I was wrong). I tried to order a chicken dish and a veggie dish, rice and beer. But the waiter I took it upon himself to make sure I didn't wreak my figure, so he only brought the chicken dish and skipped out on the veggies. I was too weak with hunger to argue.

After dinner it was dark, so I read for a bit and then passed out. The bunk was pretty good, as train beds go.

The next day was much the same. No one disturbed me, I watched the lumpy mountains and fields and goats go by, read, danced to Black Eyed Peas on the iPod and wrote in the journal.

Getting to Hong Kong was great. I really love this place.

No comments: