Monday, May 01, 2006

Roswell, New Mexico

Just a travel log posting.
Made it to Austin. Cute town. Good music. Lots of skin art. Except for the lack of views and it being in a Red State, it is quite nice.

Had fun at my friend's bachelor party. I think the highlight was when I got a lap dance. The entire crew seemed exceptionally excited about it. But got to see my friend intoxicated, for the first time really.

Been thinking about drinking. There has been too many bad things of late that have happened due to excessive drinking. Am I really to the age where I'm done with excessive drinking? Done with feeling like I made a fool of myself? Worrying about what I might have said the next day. I guess I'm officially moving into adulthood, either that or I'm losing my wildside and moving towards white knuckle flying.

After Austin I made a quick run to Dallas. Got some good time with my cousins, Dave and Nate. Got to meet Nate's girlfriend too. Very fun. Nice weather. In an effort to convince me that Texas isn't the belly of the beast, Dave took me out in really CUTE areas of town. I can say that I was impressed with Dallas.

My cousins also impressed me. Dave is involved with the local Chamber of Commerce. Both he and Nate are terribly well traveled. Educated, interesting, funny and positive - wish I could seem them more often.

But there was one bad spot in Dallas. I got attacked by a bird. Just walking down the street after having a morning coffee on Tuesday. Suddenly I had this creature swooping at me. It even grabbed my hair on the 2nd attack. I'm not sure what was more embarrassing, that I was being attacked or that I was visibly angry at a bird not much larger at my fist. I'm sure I looked like a crazy woman - swinging my book as this bird came diving at me - claws out and wings extended, in attack mode. It was terrible! I am scarred.

After Dallas I took a mystery trip and landed back in Austin on Thursday night. So good to have some quiet time with my friend before the wedding. Talking about what it means and what we've both been through. Amazing to think that we'd been friends for 14 years - even if we were in the same state for less than 1/2 of that time.

Friday started the wedding craziness. Mani-pedi's, rehearsal dinners, wedding preparation. My friend's got a large clan of siblings, in-laws, cousins and family friends and I had a great time re-meeting them after 5 years. Again, educated, interesting people... So much fun to get to know. Guests from 3 continents. The reception was a huge party. Cup cakes that were a million times yummier than wedding cake.

Sunday I barely had time to recover before making my run to the boarder. Made it to Big Spring, TX. Yes, they do seem to have a Big Spring. Not that I took a tour...

Spent this AM at the Carlsbad Caverns and Oh My God it is so big!!
Had a pleasant stroll through the International UFO Museum here in Roswell, New Mexico where I am now. Waiting to catch a flight on the next UFO that passes.

Cheers!

No comments: