Saturday, May 13, 2006

Round 2

Well, I'm still in love with Hong Kong - even when I'm sober.

Thursday was definitely the kick-off. Friday was difficult, tackling a new city where the signs is in odd shaped characters and taxicab drivers get me car sick, even when not hung over was a challenge. However, I managed to make it down to Central in time to meet up with Sonya for lunch.

She works in the 3rd tallest building in the world. Thankfully there are no earthquakes here and little threat from terrorism. Her office is on the 21st floor and sports a basketball court. But we don't hang out there for long, we head down to a cafe with a French name and order Thai soup. Odd yes, but it tasted good and despite the spice, it eased my tender tummy.

She walked me through a labyrinth of shops. I was on a mission to get to Marks and Spenser's to find a bathing suit in Western Women sizes. For a Caucasian woman, shopping in Hong Kong is like being in the girls section of the department store - but with cool threads there. Hence, having forgotten to pack my suit, I needed to go to a store for the big.

On the way, we pass through the land of Armani. Did you know that Armani offers flowers? I had no idea. Make-up and kitchenware too. Learn something new everyday.

But make it to Marks & Sparks, found a suit that wasn't terrible, not good either, but for $40 USD, who's complaining?

Next, calls with Ken - a friend of my buddy Dave who is going to help me get my plane tickets for the rest of my trip. He tells me to get a cab and either tell the guy to go to the Landmark, and if he doesn't understand me, to call Ken (who speaks Mandarin and Cantonese) to help. So I leave Marks & Sparks, find the cab stand and then when it is my turn, I hope in. I say Landmark and the driver points to the doorway just past the cab stand. Nice guy - he didn't charge me for the directions or take me on a spin around the block. What could be easier?

I hop out of the non-needed cab and go into The Landmark. I realize I had walked through it with Sonya 30 minutes before. Who knew? Hong Kong has a good city planner - there are elevated and air conditioned walk ways that connect the important money making and money spending locations.

Which I how I see Hong Kong so far - a great place to make and spend massive amounts of money. My buddy Greg would love this place. I hope those communists don't make too many modifications to Hong Kong. Nothing like Capitalism and Consumerism to make a city's wheels turn.

So I locate Ken and we take care of our errands. One of which takes us on the subway (very fun) - but seeing the equivalent of Jersey (Kowloon) and getting a cell phone/PDA not available in the states was also a lot of fun. The shop had these great Zoolander phones - the size of 2 of my fingers put together and they come in 7 colors too.

Another first was Boba drink. They don't call it that here. But back in LA I would see Boba every where. And I had recently discussed rice with Greg who was telling me how they have "glutinous rice" here. Never heard that term before, and then it was on the multi-lingual signage. So odd. But mango, ice and boba and some other stuff. Yum.

Met up with Sonya and we rushed home and back out again. We had 7:30 reservations at Aqua (http://www.aqua.com.hk/) - amazing food at the top of a sky scraper. Stunning.

But we didn't last long. The jet lag was finally catching up with me. We stopped briefly in some district I can't recall and had a drink with 10,000 of our best friends. Just amazing, almost The Castro on Halloween crowded. The street was lined with 10 story buildings all touching and the bottom 2-3 stories of each had restaurants, bars and nightclubs. Drinking is allowed on the street and most in the sea of people were taking advantage of that. Mostly Ex-Pats in shorts, suits all sorts of outfits.

Another thing I noticed: each bar had a theme. We had Beirut with Hookas, Italian joints, British Pubs and more. However, I didn't see many Chinese Themed locales, nor Opium dens which I had half expected. Which made me realize I had been in China for a day and change and had yet to have any Chinese food. I write this another day later and I'm still waiting. I've had Tapas, Thai, Italian, Japanese, Cheese plates (tonight's dinner) and Califonia-esqe food, but no dim sum or Chinese. Maybe Tomorrow?

Or maybe not - we're going on a Junk boat (why I needed a bathing suit). I'll be careful to wear sunscreen, to not get burned. Need to stop eating, as I'm not sure I'll fit into that suit if I keep up at my present pace.

Today was spent visiting another Ex-Pat and wandering around Stanley Bay and Shek O. Put my feet in the water, sweated out a gallon of water (it is HOT here) and enjoyed some pinot gris with a view of the bay.

If we ever leave, (it is after 10 pm), we're going to do the obligatory tour of WanChai and possibly hit a party. I'm looking forward to it. If there is no blog by Monday AM - please contact the embassy, I may have been sold into the brothels in that 'hood. Wish me luck.

No comments: