Wednesday, May 03, 2006

From 7,500 feet

I have been working on how to describe my love of the desert for the last few days. Currently I'm staying with Bill and Regina in the mountains above Santa Fe. The air is different here. Everything is dry and distilled. The views are astounding. I can see for eternity it seems.

One of the many blessings I got from my time with Michael is a love for road trips and a love for the desert. Seeing the stratifications of the rock in the mountains is like seeing history. Here we have the history and the seams of the earth. The volcanoes, the limestone, the shale and in each is reflected a time totally unfathomable. 1.2 million years ago the volcano near Los Alamos erupted. 1.2 million years. Then the ash was compacted and turned to stone. Then came the sea and the shells and then the ground was pushed up and then eroded.

The views remind me of the beauty and timelessness of the earth. I'm here for such a blip. The mountains don't even notice me. I drink in the views and the sunsets.

No comments: