Saturday, May 27, 2006

Back in Hong Kong

Whew, it is SO good to be back where cab drivers understand me. Well, as much as they do in the states... Jen-speak is an international problem.

Anyway, my mom had given me an article on cell phone tours and I went out and got one yesterday. Now, I'm still having tons of cell phone issues. I'm just leaving my T-Mobile phone on, as I'm switching around my SIM cards. But I'm back on the 2nd Hong Kong SIM (the China SIM won't work here). So getting this tour going was a 2 step process: 1)Find the bookstore with the tour 2)Find additional minutes for Hong Kong cell phone SIM. Nothing is easy here - but fun.

So I got the SIM and the tour and then get lost trying to get to the starting point, Star Ferry. They are doing construction and I got on the wrong side of the construction. But I got there and started the tour. It is FANTASTIC. So much interesting information and I get to choose what to listen to. It's called Walk the Talk. Wish they had this for every city.

But after an hour of listening I start shopping (a hazard here in Hong Kong). Found myself the cutest linen suit and then needed some dinner. Not wanting to partake in the Wan Lai Fong madness, I slipped up a side street and found a quiet bar with only one patron and a great atmosphere. I go up to the bar and order a Manhattan. The bartender didn't know how to make one, so I got to teach him. Fun and a nice way to have a conversation.

I'm back on my own here in Hong Kong - Sonya is out of town, so I don't get in much socializing. But chatting with the Scottish bartender was fun. As it turns out, he was short staffed. So I interviewed for a waitress position of the Manhattan and was told to come back at 9 pm. I ran home, dropped off my new clothes, ate and tossed on a low cut top (I wanted to get tips) and ran back.

My training was simple: when a glass is almost empty, go ask if they want another drink; clear ash trays; clear empty glasses; bring bills; converse with the patrons when things are quiet. I had a blast. Met a bunch of interesting people. Was running around the bar and being offered personal Hong Kong tours by a number of the male locals. Too funny.

Got finished at about 2 am. My pay? $40 and memories. Also a number of resources for getting a sales or office job if I want to stay here in Hong Kong.

Too bad today is rainy - I wanted to finish the tour. May have to wait until tomorrow. Next time I'll have to be sure not to visit Hong Kong in the rainy season.

No comments: