Friday, May 19, 2006

Shanghai is better with Sun

China can be quite confusing. I'm having problems with the cab drivers here. Several times they try to drop me off at locations that are not where I tell them. It doesn't help to have the address in Chinese, or both have the address in Chinese and point to a map. They just pull over in the neighborhood and say, well, I don't actually know what they say, as they don't speak a word of English and I can barely pronouce Thanks You in Chinese... but it is clear through gestures that they think I am where they want to leave me.

Challenging world here.

Yesterday a typhoon came through. Made it very unpleasant. I tried to walk around the city - even with the rain, but I couldn't tell North from South or East from West and ended up walking a mile or two down Nanjing Road the wrong direction. Blew a whole morning. And it is hard to appreciate the sights when the umbrella truncates one's view. Finally broke down and got lunch near the hotel. Udon with lamb. Yummy.

The afternoon was another attempt at adventure. My tennies were soaked through. My jeans soaked. But I eventually made it to the Urban Planning Museum. Very fascinating. I had NO idea how big this city is or will be. Simply assounded at the vast scale of high rises they intend to build in this area. Just up and up and up. Most buildings with 10 or more stories. Wow. San Francisco seems so provencial. Took a taxi back to the hotel - he did, with some loud English and pointing, get me to the hotel, but damned if he were to drive up to the lobby. Had to leave me on the curb.

Today I awoke to sunshine. I could tell East and West and see things. I walked from my hotel on Shanxi Lu down to the Bund. This city is so vertical. And it has old, rickety alleys, and so much green, quiet park space. I'm really impressed. There is charm to Shanghai. Last night I was becoming convinced that the only charm was at the bottom of a bottle of crappy wine.

I think I need another massage...

No comments: