Thursday, September 25, 2008

Living Fully

I went Super Camp when I was 15. One of the things I learned there, aside from taking notes in a graphic mode instead of outline, was to live fully. To do everything I do at 100%. If you're going to run, run to the best of your ability. If you're going to sing along to the radio, don't just sing, dance too. Don't hold back. Go all out.

Sounds easy, until fear creeps in. The standard FUD (Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt). "What will people think?" "Are you sure this is a good idea?" "Maybe I'm not good enough."

But then the other side counters with, "What is the worst that could happen? Really?" "What would you miss out on if you didn't?" "If you wait to be good/rich/prepared enough you'll never do it" And it gets easier to let go. Easier to be more daring. Easier to get off the couch and take action. Easier take the risk. Easier to say what one thinks. Easier to ask the hard questions.

We only get one go-around on this planet. Volunteer for that hard project. Take the trip you're thinking about. Have the kids (no, I'm not pregnant, sorry mom!).

Goodness, I sound like a self help book. I hope I help more than just myself.

No comments: