Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Welcoming the New Year

It has been nearly two weeks now with Tsunami. And I now well aware of how far I am from parenthood. Yesterday I nearly had a mini break-down with the desire to return sweet Tsunami.

She's bringing out my neurotic side. I want the best for her - and I know she is a dog. Yet I want to be sure she gets the exercise she needs. I looked up games we could play together. One problem is that she's unclear on the fetch game. I throw something, say a toy, and she runs after it, hops on it and then runs back to me without it. I'm so afraid that she'll be bored with her new life, yet I don't know what to do. She isn't really interested in toys. She is interested in me. Just being in my lap is all she needs to be content.

Now, most people would think that is fine, but I've been watching The Dog Whisperer so I think that she needs to do something to earn the affection. But what? I try to work on training her - she's got the sit down. But it gets me all worked up and then I'm not the calm-assertive leader that the wee-one needs. The vortex of stress & guilt gets to me. I keep trying to say, it is just a dog! This is much more work that I realized and I've got possibly 18 more years of it. She might live until my 50th birthday! Crazy.

No comments: