Friday, January 25, 2008

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - a la Red Start Design

Like many divorcees, I have some jewelery that I'm no longer comfortable wearing. I thought of selling it and got a rude awakening to how little used diamonds are worth.

Figuring that I could wear the jewelery if it were in another form, I went looking for jewelers. It was October, the season of the San Francisco Open Studios, and I found Red Start Design. I met with Sarah and Amanda and we talked about what I had and what we could do with it. The ring I wanted to remake was stunning: black jade with an aquamarine stone. I loved the ring. So I attempted to design something that would change it, yet hold some of the same elements.

Here's the result:
Red Start Design kindly took fabulous photos and sent them to me.

In the process of designing the ring, we realized we'd have left over jade. I had just taken a look at a diamond necklace that wanted some help and thought that I might use a couple of the diamonds as well as more for their Vine Necklace. But then the women there took one look and said that we should make this:
This piece is truly stunning. Just gorgeous. I want to wear it everyday. Too bad it doesn't always match.

I just finished Zen and the Art of Happiness. One of the ideas proposed by the author is that "The best thing always happens". The concept is that we may not always know how or why, but the Universe is looking out for us. We will be happen when we trust that bad things do happen, and they are often a door opening for something better. I feel that way about this jewelery. They could have stayed as they were with their dark cloud. Instead, they got an overhaul and now bring joy to me.

No comments: