Friday, January 11, 2008

Not as they seem

Wednesday night we had our first session with a dog trainer. I think the official name is, "Canine Trainer & Therapist". Something fancy. We like the trainer, Peter and, if we're successful, I'll be promoting his services here.

He came over and Tsunami was very good, she didn't bark at the door at all. She did hide behind me and didn't go check him out. Which was her standard MO. He noticed how she was following me around the house. I assumed it because she was attached to me, but no.

Peter let me know that in the dog world, things are different. She's used to the pack mentality. The weaker dogs are watched by the stronger dogs. I had failed some domination tests (I didn't even know there was an exam!), so Tsunami was keeping an eye on me. She didn't want me getting into any trouble. Funny how this 7.5 lb thinks she is taking care of me.

This is the key to get her to not bark when she is hanging with me at the office. She needs to know that she doesn't need to warn/protect me from the evil coworkers who come to visit. Very exciting... she's been quiet all day so far.

So, Peter helped me understand and spot some of the dog dominance testing activities and I've been ignoring my dog when she wants love and calling her to me for love when she goes away. We're also working on sit & stay - which are going very, very well. When I need to show dominance, I'm supposed to stand up straight - which is tough, as she's about 8 inches off the ground. I'm supposed to crouch, call her and then, when she arrives, return to a standing position. I can't give here a "good girl" pat on the head, while standing.

She seems to be loosening up. The less responsibility she feels for me, the better we both do. We laud her when she shows submissive activities, like licking her lips (he says it isn't because she is hungry). And we make a growl sound at her when she steps out of line. Thankfully, I haven't had to growl at her in the office.

Time for our lunch time stroll.

No comments: