Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Perspective

Last night I took Tsunami out for a walk just about at sunset. From where I walked, I could see Mt. Diablo in the west. The lighting gave a perspective of the distance and clouds such that they appeared to be a roof over Mt diablo. The colors moved from cloud white to tween pink as the mountain lost its details and became a dark silhouette on the horizon.

On the Eastern Front, the moon was coming up. It appeared fully if not almost. It glowed. With the sun on my right, the moon reflecting its light on my left, I paused to think. All that light bouncing off the moon is light that came from the sun and didn't get stopped by our planet. Earth's shadow is so microscopic on the planetary scale. While I think we're so big and my ego feels like we take up so much space, in reality we don't. A lunar eclipse happens - I've seen several in my life, but they aren't a regular occurrence, as I would think they should be. The moon is small compared to Earth, and yet it rarely finds itself in our shadow.

We are much smaller than we'd like to think.

No comments: