Sunday, March 12, 2006

Not finishing what one starts

I have a confession to make. I just put away The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I tried to like it. I got to the final 25 pages or so. But the author's tone just got to me. So smug. He's merely an author, yet has the tone of god. As if this guy somehow knows all there is to know.

I couldn't take it. Now, I know that I am an adult. I don't have to finish every book I start... but I still feel guilty. Probably has something to do with my father's eternal criticism of me - that I don't finish what I start. And to that I have to ask, why should I finish this book? Will I get some gold star in heaven? It sucked! He killed off the characters who seemed total prisoners to their pathetic natures - I just didn't care any more.

I think I need something happy to read. I've been exploring mind expanding and instructive literature for too long. My bed side table has the following books: The Elegant Universe, Revolution from Within, To the Heart of the Nile and a book that I haven't started, but it is about the image of women throughout mythology. So heavy! I need something light and fun. I think I might have to pull out the David Cedric - or you readers, any suggestions?? I want to escape.

1 comment:

Jen DeLano said...

No, but a fantastic friend of mine has promised to get me a copy.