Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Nightmares

Last night, as I was going to sleep I got the notion that there was something supernatural in my room. I fell asleep with strange, nightmarish dreams - waking, or possibly waking, with the sensation that a ghost was in my room. It was oppressing me, pushing down on my, I was unable to move. My mind was racing, wondering if I should turn on a light, if that would make it go away. But something told me it wouldn't. I didn't want to turn, for fear of seeing something I didn't want to see.

I told my mother about the experience, she said, Incubus. Looking it up, I found that this was a common thing - has been happening for centuries. Why? What is in our collective unconscious that creates these experiences. What causes those neurons to fire in that order? Does it have a chemical or electric origin? The entire body is involved in the experience - the body can't move, the mind is spinning.

Or are there demons out there that visit us. And why would it be in my bedroom? The oddest thing to me was the sensation of malevolence, that what was in there was angry, hateful and intent on evil.

More things I doubt I will ever have an answer for - and that is OK, as long as this doesn't become a regular thing.

No comments: