Monday, April 27, 2009

Going Nomad

In the same week, in two vastly different books, the topic of human tribes arose. Aside from some shows on the Travel Channel or National Geographic, I had believed that tribal consciousness didn't come into play in my life. Hubris, I realized after some reflection. And the question started:
  • What tribes did I identify with?
  • Where do my values come from?
  • What have I done to signify my belonging
I think back to high school or college; didn't we all just play those roles daily? Then the family - from my divorced & divided family - what the entire clan valued and then the differences in each family unit. While living in Los Angeles, I lived near the Hasidic Jews. Their clan was clearly marked through the curls the men wore, the covered hair and long sleeves on the women. I didn't know what their values were, aside from strong external signs that delineated their belonging.

The questions kept coming.
  • Why do we stay?
  • Why do we leave?
  • What happens when we leave our tribe.
  • What happens when we stop believing in the magic of our tribe.
Initially I thought that due to my expose to a wide variety of cultures, I found tribal bonds restrictive and ultimately meaningless to me. What one tribe says is good could be taboo in another - so much fuss over something basically meaningless.

But then after I took out my bellybutton ring, I realized those ties run much deeper than I had realized. I've had that hunk of metal in my navel for 16 years. I didn't realize how tied to it I had become. Something clicked today - I didn't feel like I needed it any longer. It was a marking that I was alternative. I looked at it and felt the ties to my raving day, to burningman, to all the odd things I've done. But I'm not doing those things now; I don't see a space for them in my future so I felt it was not my marking any longer. I didn't think it was a big deal. Yet ever since I took it out, I've been in a bit of a daze.

Hilary and I got our navels pierced in a bonding endeavor just before going home on break during our first year of college. I recall my mother's horror and dismay when I showed her my stomach. I had left my family tribe and declared my allegiance to the young, alternative and wild. I still recall when Hilary told me she had taken hers out years ago. I felt sad and a bit violated. She had walked away from our ties. Our doing it together in the basement of some lesbian in Northampton had meant a lot to me, was It no longer meaningful for her?

I thought all that had faded. I didn't think I needed that badge any longer. I'm not part of the uber-hip tribe any longer. I don't go to raves, push fashion boundaries or live on the edge in any way. I grow veggies, compost with worms and culture my own yogurt. It seemed right that I leave behind that symbol. My life orbits different values now. I have no interest in raves and can barely tolerate bars now a days.

Taking it out and looking at my stomach, I felt as if I was looking at my body for the first time in years. I could see the contours of my abdomen in a different way; the sparkle of the metal didn't distract from my flesh. I was unadorned, truly naked. Washing in the shower, my hand didn't knock against anything, instead it slide on past my bellybutton without a notice.

The connection to the tribe goes deeper than I believed. I spent the afternoon reflecting on what I had done. I realized I was taking off the symbols of my former tribe. I had been leaving slowly for the last few years. Yet I didn't join a new tribe. I have no strong identification with any group or demographic. I'm an occasional social element in a dozen different groups. I don't identify with mothers or young professionals. I'm not tied into a sports activity or team. I try to connect with my family, yet with my cousins grown and brothers married, family feels more like a diasporia than a clan. I'm barely more than an acquaintance with anyone at work. I come and go. Partly I realized my wounds from breaking tribal taboos still smart and I avoid initiating myself into any tribe as a preventative measure. Partly, I don't see any tribe that encompasses me entirely - I distrust all group think.

I once believed that we had evolved with our Science. That we were beyond the ancient, as we now toy with space travel, nanotechnologies and the sublime Martini. Yet today I deeply realized how tied we are to our culture. My inner-self craves a marking of this passage. I don't know how to acknowledgment that I've moved on.

3 comments:

Peoples Hero said...

And I cannot believe you didnt know that you should never start a sentence with the word "And"... :)

Jen DeLano said...

Dear Mr. Smarty-Pants,

I am expressing myself in a colloquial style which reflect my inner dialog. While I do edit down my thoughts into nearly complete sentances and avoid the half-baked run-on concepts that frequently explode from my lips, I do prefer to keep the essence of my thoughts intact. I do realize that many of my readers might be shocked to read what I'm saying, as when I have shared these same ideas in a spoken conversation, the sounds hits them with such velocity and with so little enunciation, as to render much of the message meaningless.

Thank you for your concern. I appreciate your input.

Sincerely,
The Daily Oyster

Peoples Hero said...

What's with all this I and me business?

Given your retort, and having read your oh so enamoring response, please see the edited version below which is written in true "Oyster" style:
===============
AND I am expressing myself in a colloquial style which reflect my inner dialog. AND While I do edit down my thoughts into nearly complete sentances, avoidING the half-baked run-on concepts that frequently explode from my lips, I do prefer to keep the essence of my thoughts intact. AND I do realize that many of my readers might be shocked to read what I'm saying, as when I have shared these same ideas in a spoken conversation, AND the sounds hits them with such velocity with so little enunciation, as to render much of the message meaningless.

AND Thank you for your concern. AND I appreciate your input.

Sincerely,
The Daily Oyster EDITOR