Thursday, March 05, 2009

Gay Rights Day

I was reading on the NPR Website about today's decision regarding Gay Marriage. I very much hope that the court agrees that the state should not be able to restrict minority rights with a simple majority.

Reading the article, I was surprised to see this:
"This seems to be an effort to indiscriminately go after anyone who contributed money, regardless of their position on gay issues," says Frank Schubert, spokesman for the Yes on 8 campaign. He says the backlash has endangered individuals who exercised their constitutional right to freedom of religion.

The Supreme Court has effectively said that contributing money to campaigns is similar to free speech. It follows that those who contributed money to the campaign were, effectively exercising their right of free speech and stating that they believe that gay people should have their right to marry removed. I don't know how else to interpret a donation to "Yes on 8" other than as a statement against equal rights for Gay people.

I believe in transparency in campaign financing which was what happened here. The names of the contributors were made public. These people effectively stood up in the town square and stated their opinion on the matter. As a result, those who did not agree with their opinion made their thoughts known. Several people had to resign. This isn't surprising to me. If I were to make racists statements in my blog or on Facebook, I shouldn't be surprised if my employer called me in to HR to address the issue.

And where does religious freedom come into this? Were these people who donated money restricted from worshiping? Where they forced to do something against their beliefs? No, they brought their religion into the public sphere and then complained when others had beef with their actions. Likewise, the pious often have beef with those who wear skimpy clothing in the public sphere as it, while unfortunate choice of attire, is offensive to them.

Where am I going with all this? Not sure. I believe that we all should be held accountable for our actions, be it fashion mistakes or making racists, sexist or anti-gay statements.

No comments: