Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New Years Day to Bristol

So, this chronicle of my England trip is getting delayed and segmented such that my loyal readers might find it similar to a Victorian serial novel, but with fewer plot twists. Thank you for continuing to read on - I know that Clemency has been eagerly awaiting her cameo in this story. And today I can happily provide it.

New Years Day I woke up in the wrong place. I opened my eyes and saw a plank ceiling painted white, ornate furniture that doesn't belong in a hotel and realized quickly that I had passed out at Rob & Tam's last night. I turned my head to see Tam sleeping next to me. My hand went to my throat to feel that I was till wearing my scarf. My first thought, "Oh S**t! Where's Marc?" Clearly not my finest moment.

Tam wakes and tells me where Marc is and I keep thinking, "this isn't how 2009 is suppose to start!!" But I scurry back to the hotel - nothing like walking fast in stiletto heels with a solid hangover. My key doesn't work in the door, but Marc kindly lets me in just the same. I shower and we chat and head back over to Rob & Tam where the rest of the gang enjoyed a hearty English breakfast with beans, sausage, bacon, toast and more. I nibbled on toast and enjoyed sprite in a successful effort to keep my fickle stomach happy.

But we get home and promptly nap - making for an enjoyable and utterly unproductive January 1st. Once up, we got Chinese that I - don't tell Marc - found not that exceptional and a bit greasy. But it was food and I could finally eat. I think we spent the rest of the day on the computer, as both of us had work that needed attention.

January 2nd Marc took his mother to her work and returned. He tells me she does like me - yippee. We packed-up and headed off to Bristol, via Stonehenge and side roads. It took about an hour to get to Stonehenge. And it was odd. Yes, it was smaller than I thought it was. Yes, there are big stones sticking in the earth. No, we have really no idea why the ancients did this. Yes, there are calendar properties to the stones. I was cold from nose to fingertip to toes. Photos were taken.

Off to Bristol and an thoroughly enjoyable drive through the English country side. I was reminded of the country around Smith College - the landscape really is similar, except that England has fields and such.

We made it to Bristol about sunset and boy were we hungry. Clemency now lives in a lovely house with her boyfriend Dave. Their friend Chris also lives there. She kindly provided us with a cup of tea and enough chocolate to kill a cow. Soon after Chris came home with Andy, Elane and a GIANT mount of chips from a fish & chips shop. YUM! We enjoyed some, freshened up and then headed out to the Windmill.

Evidently there are several types of pubs. The Windmill was a free house (they serve more than just 1 type of beer) and, due to food service & layout - it is classed as a snug. Speaking of food service, I got the Lamb Stew and it was fantastic. Just perfect. I had seen many little lambs while driving through the country side and was very pleased to get to eat one for dinner.

After our pub dinner and several rounds of drinks, we migrated back to Dave & Clem's place. As we weren't quite ready for bed, we got treated to Spaced - a TV show by the creators of Shaun of the Dead. Very funny. More tea and some chocolate and soon we were blowing up the air mattress and tucking ourselves into bed.

Then came Saturday - the Day Without Vegetables. Waking up at Clem's we enjoyed tea pre-trek to the store for croissants and goodies for breakfast. Clem and I got to enjoy some girl-girl time catching up and attempting to one-up each other in various departments of our lives. Our walk was over some Bristol hills and the views were really spectacular.

Not long after Breakfast we had to head out to Bournemouth. I wanted to drive during the day so that I could see more countryside. Being so far North and the start of winter, the sun was setting by 4 pm. Along the was we got some petrol and a Scotch Egg. My new favorite food - hard boiled egg in some thick coating (Marc now tells me it is sausage meat - who came up with that?? oh never mind, here's my answer) then deep fried. Yum.

We made it to the Great-nan's home before closing time and got in a quick visit. It was a pleasure to meet her. The matriarch of Marc's maternal family. She wasn't sure who I was, stated her misery and asked that we send her daughter Pat around. In all, a successful visit. I am very glad I got to met her - she turned 102 a week ago.

We continued around the town and landed at his uncle Ian's where I was treated to a through dog mauling by Bernie. Not my favorite thing, but I was missing our canine crew, so the licks & love was nice. Also at Ian's was Marc's little brother Jordan. We gathered up the crew and headed to Nan's house where we got the fish & chip orders. Finally I would get to try the British National Dish. Yippee!

Dinner was a yummy white wine, some pickle-things and my own dish of fish & chips. It was great. I polished it off with love. For desert we had pie of some sort. I enjoyed the chats with Nan's husband, Barry - who worked at Xerox for years. We also bonded over our respective visits to Hong Kong. He went when he was in the service and Hong Kong was part of the Empire.

Back to Ian's where I was given more wine along with a solid dosing of shortbread. That sensitive tummy came back and I crashed early only to have Marc get me some antacids. Thankfully they helped and I feel into a sound sleep. Ian providing us with a warm, very warm room and a soft bed. A bit thanks to the Bournemouth clan for their welcoming and love. Oh - but I can't forget Buster, nan's amazingly fat shi-tzu. I almost took him with me - a "I've never been fed" cuddly teddy bear of a dog.

Tomorrow the final installment. I promise.

No comments: