Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I know I shouldn't be happy, but...

My first job out of college was a total and complete nightmare. I was young, eager and so jumped at the opportunity to be a Marketing Assistant. Unfortunately I was so eager that I took the job despite the warning sign that the woman who had the job before me hadn't been there a year and had nothing positive to say about the manager, Marnie Sharpe.

I jumped in to the job. I worked hard. I tried my best. Marnie was mean, manipulative and all around nasty. My mother gave me a book, "How to Manage Your Boss." but it didn't help. I was so stressed out I was having stress induced migraines weekly. I had nightmares about the woman - which continued for about 3 years after I left the job.

I almost threw up the morning I handed in my resignation. What a bad start to my career. It was the dot-com era and I felt so lost & behind. My girlfriends had all gotten good jobs and were doing great things.... I had been suffering under this manager.

But today I learned that karma does come around. She got nailed for insider trading:
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2006/05/04/love-material-non-public-information/
I couldn't be happier. I just wish I could sue for 16 months of my life back.

No comments: