Friday, June 16, 2006

Keep your anemones closer

Got to visit my mother Wednesday night. What a treat. It was as if I had never gotten married or moved to Southern California. We took a hike up to see this massive boulder from a landslide. We chatted about the local water problems, my love life and she had a mound of clippings for me as usual. The sun has been out and we took advantage of it with a little sun bathing.

Thursday we got up early (if you call 7 am early) and did a couple things around the house - as usual, I was moving heavy objects and climbing ladders. She always has so much to do around the house to keep it up. John, her man, came by about 9 am and we all went to the beach.

Right now we are in a period of exceptionally low tides. So, we hiked a beach where an arch is only visible during super low tides. Just amazing to look through a large crack in the rocks. Nature does the darndest things. Then south down the beach. Before too long I realized the coffee was going through me too quickly, but we were not going to find a outhouse on that stretch of beach. My mom directs me to her usual sheltered spot where she empties her tank - she walks this beach once a week with a beach watch program, so knows it quite well.

However, this spot was a bit over grown with poison oak. I was left trying to figure out why my mom directed me there. There wasn't much shelter that wasn't going to cause my nether regions to break out in hives and her man kept walking in front of the opening. I wasn't sure what to do, but finally he went away and I could duck behind a large log. All was well - nothing like an open air pee when one skips the undies and truly has to air dry.

Back to the beach and we hike up to the tide pools. And they were filled with anemones. I love poking them! With a childish glee, I hopped around the rocks and tickled all the little creatures. They shrink back and if they are above the water line, the squirt. So much fun. I'm giddy thinking about it.

All that and lunch at a darling little spot called Gazos Creek - I highly recommend it. Just look for the large turkey out front.

The afternoon was terrible - spent in the sun with my friend Ian. I really should learn to apply sunscreen, as I'm now a lobster on the front, and only the front side, of my body. When will I learn?

Now, must get out to enjoy this insanely wonderful weather. It's like I brought SoCal weather with me.

No comments: