Thursday, June 01, 2006

China Sidebar

Since it is 5 am and my body is done with sleeping, I'd thought I'd sketch out a few observations from my trip which didn't fit in anywhere else.

First off, crotchless pants on babies. I saw these mostly in Beijing and some in Shanghai. As it was explained to me, instead of having diapers, these kids just pull on their parent's pant leg and then lifted or held in such a way that they can relieve themselves. Not the same as our Western system - which is fine, however it is jarring to see little baby bottoms running around. Good thing our memories from those time fade quickly.

Next up is the random pictures. It started with those three guys in Tianamen Square, with those three guys who each wanted a picture with me. No discussion, one would stand next to me and one of the others would take a photo. This happened again at the Great Wall. I've now been included in 2 dozen photos. Usually the person trying to include me doesn't speak my language. I was in a group photo of Philipinas in Macau. Since there was no common language, there was gesticulating and arm put around me. In my mind's eye I can see the photo with 4 short women and my head rising above like a redwood tree in the middle of a field.

On one hand I'm curious as to the cultural elements that lead to this compulsion of having a white stranger in one's travel log. How do they explain this photo while showing off their album? "Yes and here is our trip to the Great Wall. We got this tall, redheaded American woman to pose, can you believe they grow them like that across the pond?" And on the other hand, I'm concerned that if I am required to obtain governmental clearance, that these pictures will surface. Where it will be discovered that those taking the pictures are actually the secret police of Southeast Asian Nations. I'll have a lot of explaining to do.

Nails on men. This on is eerie. Long, filed nails on Chinese men. It is clear that there is a deliberate decision to have long nails, however, they aren't getting manicures. Reminds me of when guys would grow their hair out and it would be dry and nasty because no one every explained conditioner and product that we women use to make our hair look nice when it is long.

I think I need to go to the gym and work out some of this extra energy.

1 comment:

Cici said...

ick long nails on men? that is somewhat offputting. But then i don't really like long nails on women either. (are you trying to tell me you are completely useless?) But the crotchless babies actually sounds like a good idea. Do you know how many disposable nappies end up in landfill every year? Neither do I, but it's a lot.
You have been named btw.
Miss Wiggle

x