Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Winter Love

My basic reaction to winter is Ick. I don't like cold. I don't like wet. I don't like having days that are shorter than night. I dislike limits in diet - though there are not that many in this modern age, and living in California, most seasons are growing seasons. Yet, I'm trying to get closer to the land, consuming what is in season, traditionally grown and local, so I'm eager to have the peaches, nectarines and cherries that are coming in spring.

However the California winter does bring some blessings. When the rain ceases and the sun comes back out, the grass turns the most unbelievable color of green. It glows. It screams health. The hills become a color that, oddly enough, seems unnatural in it hue. Then the trees start to bud and they do so with such delicacy. Since it is California, we get blossoms early. The fruit trees begin to flower in February.

Also generated are those little nubs on the tress. The few leaves that are bold enough to strike out in February or March and start the re-greening process. Walking the dogs, I have the luxury to check on all the trees in the 'hood. I see where they are in the rebirth cycle and send them thoughts of encouragement.

Finally, the rain cleanses the air. I have been able to see across the central valley to the foothills on the other side. I dream of the coming summer's hike in Yosemite. Sometimes the air clears and I see Mt. Diablo coated in snow and how close it seems.

Then I get home from the walk, scrape the mud from the bottom of my shoes, or just leave them outside and go in for something warm.

No comments: