Sunday, February 22, 2009

Long Weekend

After a 5 hour drive, we're home from a very successful Southern California Weekend. I had set my heart on doing an OC & San Diego weekend a while back. I wanted to visit my grandmother who I hadn't seen in way too long; visit Sal & Erica as well as Steve, Kim & Audrey. Marc was game, so I sorted out the dog sitter and off we went. Thursday we drove south and were happy to be able to make a delightful lunch with Andre in Pasadena.

Thursday night we got to Sal & Erica's for an amazing feast that Sal prepared - herb crusted roast beef topped with bell peppers, mushrooms and shallots accompanied by grilled asparagus and cous cous - just fantastic. We brought some super yummy wine from Highlands Winery.

Friday we kicked off the day with breakfast at Bernini's, a small cafe in La Jolla. We spent Friday with Grandmother Polly who was in fine spirits. She did have a bit of a time remembering Marc's last name, but had a sense of humor about it - or so it seemed, she did laugh when I suggested he wear a name tag the next time we visit. She enjoyed taking us all about White Sands, as the renovations & expansions have mostly been completed since I was last there. We found Aunt Elizabeth playing rummy tiles and greeted her. Then enjoyed lunch in the main hall. After lunch we were shuttled to their new game room where Polly smoked us at pool. I was shocked that I almost got hussled by my grandmother! She is a shark.

Friday night we enjoyed a Beethoven Concert by the Munich Symphony lead by Philippe Entremont. It was lovely, I was just rapt by the beautiful music. We came home and enjoyed more drinks & cheese and I passed out about the time Marc and Erica launched a 2 AM duet of chopsticks.

Saturday had to big highlights - lunch with Steve & Kim. I wish we had had more time with them. Only they seemed to have their hands full between Kim's belly (she's 8 months pregnant) and Audrey, their fantastic 2 year old who had a bad day and was able to scream for the full 20 minutes we had contact with her. While it didn't make me question Marc & my childbearing intentions, I was a bit concerned that he might have some bad baby ju-ju. But we found that not to be the case when we got to Terry & Larry's where their darling girl, Kira had no such issues with Marc. Whew, close one.

After enjoyed a Mexican Feast with Steve & Kim, we were overjoyed to find out that Terry & Larry had specially picked out a restaurant in West Hollywood that did authentic Mexican City food. I don't think Marc will be touching Mexican food for a few months. But the restaurant was really good. And they did these unbelievable margaritas that were pureed fruit with wine and tequila and slush and goodness.

We stopped back at Ralph's on the way home and picked up mucho alcohol, as when we got home, we found that friends had beaten us there. We had 4 friends of the guys (they know each other from a online gaming crew) waiting there. The drinks started to flow, the bonfire was started... that was a bit more difficult. I think it took a few hours and fun was had by all. Again, I was ready for bed before the others... crashing out while some of the people were finishing up.

Marc came to our inflatable mattress bed, waking me up - i realized it had lost some of it's firmness, but was happy to have him, and rolled back over with a buzz. Next thing I knew, I was 75% on the ground with only the extremities off the floor... the air mattress was losing the little bit of air it had. About 4 AM I woke up completely and realized that something had to be done. We searched the edge of the mattress, unable to find the air nozzle. I then searched the office, kitchen and easily accessible places for a pump. Neither were found. Marc rearranged the blanket and we just passed out on the hardwood floor.

The next morning, we're up and Terry & Larry are up and I'm trying to figure out how to tactfully say something. They asked if we slept well and I had to suggest that they replace the mattress before they have more company, as it didn't hold up through the night. They were a bit embarrassed, but promised to have a real mattress for us when we visit.

Breakfast was at a diner in Toluca - very authentic. This was my first trip back to Los Angeles since I moved 2.5 years ago. It was strange - so familar and so different; both me & the city having changed. It still felt odd, so focused on outward appearances. I'm used to my Northern California substance over style attitudes. And I liked the familar neighborhoods. I had passed out in the car on our way from Irvine to Burbank (Steve & Kim's to Terry & Larry's). I openned my eyes upon our arrival in The Valley and instantly knew where we were. I liked how familar it felt. Many times it felt like the Ghosts of Jennifer Past were riding along with us and pointed out things that had happed years ago.

After the eating & drinking and eating & drinking and drive back to NoCal - I'm totally pooped. I'm so excited for my bed.

No comments: