Thursday, December 06, 2007

Winter Wonderland

My co-worker tells me, "Hey Jen, it's cold here. Be sure to bring warm clothes." And I think that I do. I saw that the temperatures in Washington were about 10 degrees colder than San Francisco, so I bring my warmer black jacket. I don't bring my mid-calf length coat, thinking that if I did, I'd look like a wussy Californian. I also skipped the sandals, skirts and brought nylons to layer under pants. Smart girl here....

But I didn't realize he meant, it-isn't-going-to-get-above-freezing-during-your-stay cold. So I'm now the proud owner of a lovely black down Burberry jacket. But the zipper isn't working and I've gotten stuck in my coat. I'm thinking that a jacket that cost what this one did should say, "OH! don't you look smart today!" each time I zip or unzip it. But instead is sticks and often tries to zip the fabric. It may not be my jacket for long.

I haven't seen snow for years. It started coming down as little specs. During my morning meeting I was up on the 5th floor of a high rise. At times the snow would be falling down and then it would shift directions and flow up past the window.

The streets slowly accumulated white and the taxi's tires would spin occasionally on my drive to dinner. Out the window as we drove to Arlington were the dark stencil of leafless tress against a white cloud background. It was like all the images of Christmas were coming to life. The stores and houses decorated with balls and lights all topped with snow frosting.

So pretty. I feel luck to be here. Like they knew I was coming and planned the Holiday Show for me.

No comments: