Friday, December 21, 2007

Dog Day


Last night we made the journey. I was sweating bullets the entire time. All 95 miles up to Sacrament to get the pooch. Now there is a little funniness about the dog. The breeder named her Jenny. Which might be fine, if her new owner wasn't named Jennifer.

We've decided to name her Tsunami instead.
Puppy check - she is panting & shivering on my lap as I write this.

I tried to take photos this morning. Not much luck. As you can see, the photo on the left is mainly of my hand.

She was never trained on a leash, but so far is doing well. The harness is working fine, no fussing from here there.

The walking is more troublesome. It is a bit noisy here, with the bay bridge and I think she is terrified when we take to the street.

Here's a head shot of her. I think we're going to get her whiskers trimmed today.

Last night, we got back to San Francisco, after about 3.5 hours of non-stop driving. We put the leash on her and put her on the street. Greg takes her and we walk her to a small patch of green. She does well and we head back towards the car.

At which point she stops. She seems to want to go onto the Embarcadero instead of heading back up Spear. Which is fine, until Greg drops the leash. His reaction is quick - he stomps on the leash, but then it breaks. Less than 10 minutes into the leash's maiden voyage, it is broken by a 7.5 lb dog. But she runs out onto the Embarcadero. Greg chases her in his couture suit. I'm almost frozen with fear.

Waving his arms, he gets the on coming traffic to stop, or at least slow down. The wee-one scurries onto the divider. Out of the way of traffic, but we're in trouble if the muni comes down the line. Finally Greg coaxes her to him. I run over, pick up my little baby and hold her all the way back to the car. So much terror and in the end, everyone was safe.

Here's my last attempt for a pre-coffee photo. Note how I get neither her nor me completely in the image.

No comments: