Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Giving 100%

Greg was a total doll and surprised me with tickets to the Giants - Dodgers game this weekend. I was thrilled, but got sick on Saturday, so missed that game - but he had tickets for both games, so we went on Sunday. The seats were 10 rows back from 3rd base and I was tickled.

I've always been told of the Dodgers' evil nature and was amazed to see so many Giants and Dodgers fans co-existing peacefully. The last Dodgers/Giants game I saw was in Los Angeles and there were 2 or 3 brawls within 10 rows of where we were... so I assumed that these natural enemies would naturally erupt into fits of aggression. But no - there were no problems.

At the same time, I was floored at the sheer amount of blue I saw and how the Dodgers fans were so bold as to get cheers going. To me it is all fun, the fans and the cheering and the energy.

There was one thing I was very sad about... the Giants infield. Now, I'm not a baseball expert or even close, but my amateur eye was shocked at the lack of hustle that the infielders displayed. A couple times it seemed as if they just watched the grounder bounce past them and into the outfield. On so many levels, I find this appalling. There are kids watching and the players should at least be good examples while on the field. And then it is also repugnant to think that these guys are earning more in 1 game than I earn in an entire year, yet they don't feel the urge to put on a good show. Beyond everything else, where is the pride of doing something right, of giving 100%, not doing things half-assed? Barry Bonds was doing some good running - why could weenie short-stop boy?

I'm hoping they fire those loses and get players who want to play and want to win... there is always next season.

So, to all the little kids out there - give it your all.

Have faith
Sleep Well
Love Good Music
See the Funny Side of Life
...and health and happiness will be yours

No comments: