Thursday, August 31, 2006

Update Take Two

Last week I started my new job. I'm the Client Services Manager for a security company. This week we had our world wide sales training. The theme is very laudable, "Integrity Wins".

The theme appeared in all of the executive's talks and we were issued a book, one of those business concepts in less than 100 pages, called The Integrity Advantage. I was reading a bit of it last night. It discusses how corporate culture often dictates how employees act. Also, how each employee represents the company's brand.
That when I go out into the world I represent the company's brand, my words, my actions and deeds. My company is committed to being an upstanding company and works to instill a culture that promotes that.

Our VP of International Sales told a story yesterday that really stuck with me. He lost a deal because his former company polluted a river 50 years ago and refused to help clean it up. Can you imagine how things would run if we all did that? Refused to do business with people and businesses that do not respect and contribute to our communities?

One of the dozen concepts mentioned was "You Know That The Little Things Count" - it may start with a feeling of entitlement, taking office supplies and then it goes on to cheating customers and on. I was struck by this. Beyond my professional actions, where do I cut corners in life? When am I thinking it is OK to not be straight forward? Who decides when it is OK to tell a white lie, or spin a concept and when it isn't?

When I was 15 I went off to a week long summer session called, Super Camp. There I learned a number of things that have suck with me. One thing is giving 100%. Don't do things half way, if you're going to do it, go all out. Another is living in integrity. I wish I could say that I have always kept my words and actions in line, but it is a goal to strive towards.

At first I was concerned about taking this job. It came along so quickly and I didn't have much of a chance to look around. This sales meeting - with over 100 Sales Managers who were energized and happy to be working for my new company. I made the right choice.

No comments: