Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Getting Crazy

Tomorrow morning I head out for the first leg of the trip. I've been trying to prepare, but got distracted by a visitor or two along with a quick trip out to Palm Springs. I know, silly of me to recharge my batteries in the same desert I'm about to hang out in for the next 3 days - so be it.

Today, however, has been a challenge. I dropped my friend off at the airport first thing and took care of filling a prescription and picking up my suitcase (it had zipper problems) and then got up online for the first time in days. Now, I had kindly been loaned a laptop for this trip, but last night when I attempted to install a wireless NIC so that I could take advantage of T-Mobile's wireless hotspots along the route, I got the blue screen of death. So, the laptop is down, the desktop is down and I'm wondering if I have some electro-magnetic field around me short circuiting things.

Friday I found that my digital camera's flash was no longer working. That will cost me $160 to fix, no thanks - I'll take a new camera. So, I'm back to old school film for this trip (sorry, no photos for the blog) and my grand ideas of a travel log are as gone as a bag of chips on superbowl Sunday.

Maybe in China next month I can find myself a cheap laptop, PDA and camera. Till then, it will be film, a calendar and my journal.

Wish me luck.

No comments: