Monday, January 10, 2011

Fit & Pregnant

I didn't realize exactly how rare fitness was in women. Why this has come to my attention - I am having the hardest time finding information, workouts and fitness gear for pregnant women.
What I can find reflects an image that most women don't do anything vigorous. The maternity shops give you a large cotton t-shirts:
http://www.motherhood.com/maternity/activewear-tees-and-tanks.asp
Seriously - these are my workout top options? None of the options appear to be designed for actual workouts, where one wants the sweat to be wicked-away with special fabrics.
Dropping by Lululemon, a bit proponent of women's fitness I was told, "Our regular clothes have 4 way stretch and can accommodate a pregnant belly." Really? You're telling me this 30 inch waist top will expand by 50% to get abound my belly that I anticipate to be 45 inches around? I have my doubts.
However, even if I can find the clothes, I'll be hard pressed to find a workout. The fitness advice in "What to Expect When You're Expecting" (a book that is able to convince more women that they have medical issues than med school is able to create hypochondriacs), includes push-ups against the wall, gentle stretching and other activities for those who find the idea of running a mile unfathomable. May caution against any Real Effort, as that might upset the delicate constitution of a pregnant woman. I'm taking a birthing class and their "exercises" include daily 5 minute walks, a pelvic tilt and squatting.
I know that marathon training & pregnancy aren't really a good combo, yet there is nothing for the expecting mother who, at the start of the pregnancy could go out and knock out 3 miles in 30 minutes. Suddenly I'm being told not to do to much - 5-30 minutes a day of walking should do it. I do that with the dogs - what am I supposed to do to keep fit?
Is the limited number of products an indication of a limited audience? Are there so few women who are fit and want to stay that way during pregnancy? I can't be the only one.

3 comments:

Cici said...

Do you go to a gym? Maybe speak to someone there. You can't be the first gym member who's got pregnant.

What does your Dr say? From fit friends who have had children it seems like they've kept up their normal routine to begin with and then slowed it down as pregnancy advances. The reason you can't find hi tech pregnancy gear I imagine is because you simply won't be able to keep the high impact/very sweaty stuff going in the later stages. I have a friend who is uber fit and had a healthy pregnancy, but she told me the last few weeks, just walking anywhere was exhausting. This is girl with muscles and a serious gym habit.

So maybe just keep going until you can't? I'm guessing you'll know when to dial it back.

Jen DeLano said...

There are two trainers at the gym who have recently had kids.
My doctor tells me, "Don't get your heart-rate up to high" which is rubbish. The books I've read on pregnancy & fitness reference numerous studies which indicate women do not need to keep their heart-rate below 140. Total myth.

These myths are ingrained in "common knowledge" and precolate down so that it is hard to find clothes or work-outs which challenge.

But I got sick this week, so I'm stuck on the couch. Bleh!!

Shashi said...

wish u all the best!
I was very active during my pregnacy . I moped the floor sitting on my knees and had normal delivery . It really worked .