Friday, December 17, 2010

The Wedding

Oh whoops - I promised a report on the wedding plan.
Here's how it happened....
As we we looking at our due date and considering our post-house purchase financial status, I suggested that spending $15k - $20K next summer, on an event that we'd have to fund, plan and execute while dealing with being a parents of a 2 month old seemed like a lot. We both missed out on a honeymoon the first time round and, with our current wedding budget projections, it looked like we would miss it the 2nd time round as well. So I suggested we elope. The only problem - I didn't want to get married outside the US and Marc didn't want to honeymoon in the US. He explains, "It isn't a real trip if they speak English & use US Dollars."

So, what if we got married on the down-low here in the US and then run off? I labeled it "faux-loping". Sounded good to me. We were mulling over plans and bringing in Dad & Cathy to co-conspired with us at Cousin David's wedding to the lovely Luisa on Cape Cod. Also at that event a conversation with my Aunt who tells me, "It just isn't right to elope. Part of getting married is sharing the even with friends & family..." Great, she didn't even know our plans and was already condemning them!

We then decided where to go - at first we were thinking Australia, but then realized there was too much to do/see. So we took it down a notch and decided that after this crazy year, we could really do with some quiet together time. Fiji came on the radar. Cousin Dania gave us good advice on where to go.

So, the event - well, we got Marc's mom to agree to come out for Thanksgiving. She wasn't sure why, but we got here here just the same. We worked out the planning, flowers & cake with Dad & Cathy. I had a tough time with a dress - what is the appropriate attire for a Thanksgiving Day, 2nd Wedding, at my father's house while pregnant? The long white gown was SO out. And finding something that doesn't look like it should be worn to the prom/opera gala/office can be tough!

But we worked it all out. We told the other attendees - My mom, little brother & sister-in-law on the precessing Tuesday. They were all excited and sworn to secrecy. The weather cooperated with a sunny day. We decided that the deck with the view would be ideal. Everyone arrive by about 11:30. We realized that Dad wasn't going to be able to read the ceremony from his iPad, so we put it on the nook. Sister-in-law helped me get dressed and led me to the alter at the right time. Both Mom's signed the paperwork. Step-mom read a passage. Little Brother took photos and tended the rings.

We said "I Do" and exchanged the rings then a kiss. Dad didn't let little brother bring the shot-gun for some silly photos. We had a toast (I got a baby glass of champagne). We enjoyed Cathy's traditional Thanksgiving feast. We cut the cake and then caught a flight to LA to catch the evening non-stop to Nadi, Fiji.
As soon as we boarded the plane, we changed our status on Facebook & turned off our phones for the next 2 weeks.

Three weeks, 1 day we've been married. I'm happy. Oh so happy. So there's the scoop.

No comments: