Friday, December 17, 2010

My Belly Preceeds Me

I'm coming up on 18 weeks. I'm eager to pass the 20 week mark so that I'm official half way to my delivery day. This is the I'm-not-fat-I'm-pregnant phase. I find myself telling anyone who will listen, "I'm pregnant!". I've gained ten lbs (some of that is the baby, some is the Fiji Honeymoon). My waist has expanded four inches. My clothes don't fit anymore. For the first time in four weeks I was in the office. The female coworker say they see it. Yet asking a male colleague, he responded, "Jen, no male's eyes will notice your stomach". I realized that due to my increase in cup size, 99.9% of men will find their eyes unable to drift below my blossoming boobs.

I've notices my breasts too. I noticed that, when I got hit my a jelly fish in the water, I was unable to see my waist, as the boobs blocked my view. I've noticed that while swimming in the ocean my nipples felt like they were getting run through a grater. They may be big & luscious, yet they are totally "Look but Don't Touch". Today's advice: a month before the baby is due, start brushing your nipples with a toothbrush to help desensitize them and make breastfeeding easier.

Aside from the onslaught of advice (were women really able to reproduce when they didn't know that they could kill the baby by lying on their backs??) which, as a pregnant woman, I've found myself drowning in, I'm finding myself awash with, "Congratulations". I just got out of nature's way, had some fun and here I am expecting the next generation. It takes no brains - as we can see on 16 and Pregnant - no brains at all to get pregnant. I know those of us 30+ do have a harder time, yet, for the most part, it felt good and I think Marc did all the work. It is like getting Congratulated for finishing a big bowl of Ben & Jerry's.

As my belly grows, I bet the weirdness responses will only increase. Last night, hubby looks over at me while I'm chopping veggies for dinner and says, "You do look pregnant". "Really?" I wonder, or do I just look like I have a belly? Of course I have to sneak upstairs to the full length mirror to check. When I have good posture, my belly doesn't go out farther than my breasts. When I slouch - my belly precedes my boobs. Belly - no Belly - Belly - no Belly.

Yes, I'm pregnant but one of the few things I've liked about my body is my flat stomach. My thighs break my heart, but my belly and narrow waist make me proud. Now the belly is not flat. I look down and my belly is blocking my view. How? Why? Did I really let this happen? I want to look pregnant, not big-bellied, is that possible? So many months to go before I diet... so many months to go...

No comments: