Thursday, April 19, 2007

Blessing Counting - Self-indulgent Drivel

A year ago I was on the road, driving from Los Angeles out to Texas. The images of that trip, the stark mountains, hiking in White Sands National Monument and doing a lap around one of the mittens in Monument Valley - it all burns brightly in my head. It was the start of several months of travel, most of it on my own. The departure point was a point of unhappiness - ending a major relationship, leaving a unsatisfactory job and throwing the map I had plotted of my future.

About two weeks before I left I met Greg. Somehow he stuck with me through the travels, was there to help me with moves and changes physical and mental. So I've been thinking of how lucky I am. I read a fantastic book about becoming an optimist and training one's mind to be happy. Today, with my dark mood - nothing like wanting to be out on the open road alone, yet stuck in a cube with a split keyboard - I am trying to count blessing.
1. I'm in a supportive, happy relationship with Greg
2. That I love where I live - the city, near friends & family
3. I like my job - even with some of the recent hiccups.
There are so many more. I'll keep counting and doing quotes and making calls on the side.
I'm feeling better already - even if I'm not on a plane to Hong Kong, Scotland, Cape Cod or Hawaii.

No comments: