Monday, February 26, 2007

Hundreds of Birds

As I crested 101 by Candlestick Park this morning, I saw several hundreds of seagulls aloft. They were swirling and swarming from the left of my vision to the right. I'm guessing something happened at the landfill (don't you love how we've left behind the garbage dump and now use landfills? So much more sanitary.) to set this flock aloft.

They reminded me of a description I once read of an early explorer of the American West who talked about how the birds would fill the sky and blacken the sun. There were so many. This was a modern, scrawny substitute. Just the same, their whirling motion was entrancing, even if my nerves were twitching from some hangover of The Birds.

But on I drove - and driving is so much fun. Last week my new car came. I treated myself to a cute little Mercedes-Benz roadster. I'm not sure what I was thinking, as I got the AMG version - so it jumps (and scares me a little) when I step on the gas too hard. Soon I'll be taking it down to visit my mother. Don't tell her, but this trip will be more about seeing what curves feel like in a sports car than family time.

Saturday night, Greg and I curled up with the original version of The Producers. Oola - was the secratary's name... the "toy" that they treated themselves to once they had all that money. I like the idea... so my little SLK32 has been christened Oola.

That joy is tempered only with the challenges of having 2 cars and no garage in San Francisco. The Jetta is still with me - it has a new transmission and the clutch got fixed last fall - it is in great condition. Any one interested? It has nearly 170k miles, but will be solid for many, many more.

No comments: