Sunday, April 18, 2010

Spring

I found spring's arrival this year to be inconsistent. We had a week or so of sun in March, then weeks of cold & rain until Saturday. Finally the sun arrive, warmed the air and helped dry out the earth.
I spent Friday night with my mother, out in the woods. We got there late, as we were both up North. I brought a deli dinner - Thanks Andronico's - and then settled into talking. Saturday we got her iTunes and iPod talking friendly. She took me on a private March Walk. I did my best to ask any question I could think of. We had sun at the start, yet fog started rolling in by the time we were done around 2 pm. I left my mother and headed back to sunland.
I did make a stop along the way at the Half Moon Bay Nursery. I intended only to get some lavender for the front yard, two flower plants and then head home, but I could stop. Shortly after I had 4 sage plants, as I think they do good for keeping some pests away from the veggies, or so I thought. Not sure now.
So, one I was home, I kissed Marc hello and then headed into the garden. Marc followed me out and tried to offer assistance. As I put in my 8 tomato plants he did try to dissuade me. He kept saying something about "Wall of Tomatoes" and saying I would need to better contain them this year. What - just because I might have 8 tomato plants instead of 5, that might be a problem.
He kept a close eye on me as I seeded some other plants - I'm working on two bits of eggplant and then I planted some seeds I thought was corn, but now I'm not terribly sure. We'll see what comes up. I put a row of lettuce in between two rows of mystery plants. Cross your fingers.
All this to say that spring really is here. I got my garden in order. Marc bought me a bike - I rode home from REI on my new bike. Loved it. Today we had time to lie about in the sun. Another treat. I think spring is now my favorite season.

No comments: