Thursday, January 04, 2007

Uppers and Downers - a biographical entry.

Let's start with the bad news:
Despite the over the top appearance of my cube, I did not win the Most Decorated Cube contest. Totally stunned - both me and most of my coworkers. I have started to plan what I'll be doing for next year's contest.

As for the Uppers:
I welcomed in the New Year in on Maui . Greg and I spent the last week in bungalow in Lahaina. Our Love Nest had windows which were glass-free, instead had screens and curtains. The ocean breezes kept us cool and I did my best to keep it down, as not to disturb the neighbors.

We got in and spent the first day getting sorted out - I needed a new bikini and we had brought food with us (using this cool service: www.souskitchen.com). We bought a small rolling cube cooler and packed it with the frozen prepared meals, sandwich fixings and blue ice. It all got there in once piece... Lucky for us, as the baked pasta was heavenly.

The condo was nice, as we had space to cook and store food. Also, we could make up the cooler with sandwiches, vodka, mixers and snacks for the day. As usual, we neglected to bring a camera, so there are no pictures to share.

We spent the next day trying to find the perfect beach - we ended up going all around the Northwest bulb. At one point we were on a one lane road that just clung to the hill side. We were supposed to have a convertible PT cruiser, but due to chaos at the car rental, we ended up with a convertible seabring. We got in at 10 pm and were in line for nearly 45 minutes before they got to us. Then it took about 10 minutes to sort us out - followed by two trips back and forth to the lot. It seems that Alamo on Maui is unable to see which slots have cars, and so we kept getting sent to parking spaces that were without vehicles parked in them.

Greg is so mellow, that these little challenges just roll off him. I wish everyone were like that - able to make bad situations pleasant instead of turning up the heat and popping one's top.

Anyway, the next day we land ourselves at a fantastic Orchid Farm and spent two hours wondering around. I ended up buying three, Greg two. But one of his is super special. The names are very hard to remember as they are scientific. Now all I have to do is get a heat lamp and orchid zone set up in my apartment. Very exciting.

The day after, we got boogie boards and I we had some good time at the beach. The beach we found to be the most suitable, best waves and fewest people is called Slaughter House Beach. It is a turn or two past Fleming Beach, North of Napili. The beach had a large sand bar that gives it two breaks. The 2nd being much smaller and more my speed. About 6 years ago I had a terrible experience. I had gone out with my ex in Santa Cruz in high surf, we were surfing, or attempting to, at the time. I got stuck in a terrible shore break and had a panic attack getting myself out. Greg was fantastic, sticking with me and helping me get re-acclimated to the waves. By the last day I was body surfing (the rash on the tummy got me off the board after 1 day) and diving over and under the waves. So much fun!

Anyway, on Hawaii, fireworks are legal between 9 pm and 1 am on New Year's Eve. So we bought ourselves a big box, a bottle of champagne and a lighter and enjoyed the end of 2006 with just each other on the beach. It was the first time in years that I could just relax. So many New Year's Eves were spent worrying about being at the right party, or was everyone having a good time or would we rather be elsewhere... I was in the right place and with the right person.

The next day - yes, it did feel like this trip went on forever, and be glad I don't have pictures to show you...
The next day we went down Haleakala on bikes, then chased good waves and good weather - finding one or the other. Finishing the night with Ulelana. A dramatic show that had good moments in between dull sections.

On the way home I learned that my company is getting bought by Cisco and so work is now a grand confusion. Keep your fingers crossed for me and hope for Big Money with this shake-out.

With that, I've got to get back to work.

Happy New Year!

No comments: